Updated: Oct 6, 2020
What if I told you that you could have chocolate for breakfast? Yes chocolate for breakfast :) It is happening!
Today I'm offering a twist on the usual porridge recipe to make it a healthy chocolate oatmeal, for mornings you feel like treating yourself to something special. Let's get to it.
This recipe makes 2 servings.
- 1 cup of oats - choose rolled or big leaves for a better texture
- 2 cups of milk of your choice
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup of water
- 1 tsp of vanilla essence
- 1.5 tb of cocoa powder or 2-3 squares of dark chocolate (15-20g)
- 2 ripe bananas
- honey, maple syrup or any sweetener of your choice
- Optional toppings: nut butter, grated coconut, grounded nuts, choc chips, cinnamon and more
In a bowl, cover oats with cold water and let it soak for 10 minutes, then discard water.
In the meantime, peel the bananas and puree them.
Add oats, pureed bananas and water (1/2-3/4 cup) in a pan on low-heat.
Then add the milk, the cocoa or dark chocolate and the vanilla. Mix well and let it cook for app. 10 minutes.
Remove from heat and serve in a bowl or a soup plate.
Add honey, nut butter, grated coconut, grounded nuts, choc chips and other toppings according to your taste. If the bananas are very ripe, you wouldn't really need any sort of sweetener.
Enjoy your porridge warm, or add some cold milk on top. Bon appétit!