Updated: Jul 12
The perfect fix for a cold Winter night. A simple and quick recipe. I've managed to impress meat eaters with this soup so
I usually use a soupmaker to make soups. They are magical instruments that help you make gourmet soups in 25 minutes or less. All I do is roughly chop up my ingredients, add them to the soup maker and let the magic happen.
But don't worry you don't need one to become a pro at making gourmet soups.
400-500g of pumpkin, cut into cubes
1 can of light coconut milk or regular coconut milk
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 big onion, peeled and chopped
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
1 teaspoon of grated ginger or 1/2 tablespoon of ginger powder
2 tablespoons of olive oil
750mL-800mL of water (or more depending on consistency)
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional: 1 medium potato, peeled and chopped
Ingredients for garnishing:
1 handful of mix seeds (pumpkin, sunflower, pine)
Soup mixer or blender
1. Roughly chop pumpkin, carrots, onion, garlic and potatoes. It doesn't matter how you chop them as they will be blended.
2. Optional step: Roast pumpkin in olive oil for about 20 minutes in the oven on 180 degrees - you don't have to do it but if you roast the pumpkin, it gives the soup this extra smoky taste and you will love it!
3. Add all ingredients, including the coconut milk, into a pressure-cooker and cook for about 20 to 25 minutes.
4. Turn off heat and let the vegetable mix cool down for a little.
5. Use soup mixer to mix vegetables well or pour mix into blender and mix until you get a smooth consistency.
6. Serve soup and garnish with seeds and coriander leaves. Have with some nice toasted sourdough bread on the side.