Updated: Apr 9, 2021
What if I told you that you could still enjoy a nice chocolate mousse for dessert and make it super nutritious?
Yes, this is possible and the recipe is super easy. It will only take you 5 minutes!
- 2 ripe medium avoados or 1 large, peeled and pitted
- 2 tbsp of cacao powder or 1/4 cup of cocoa powder*
- 75-100g of dark chocolate (70% or more)
- 4-5 tbsp of milk of your choice - I've used unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 -3 tbsp of honey or maple/agave syrup
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
Optional ingredients (makes it richer but also more calorie-dense):
- 1 tbsp of unsweetened peanut butter - for a slight nutty taste
- 1-2 tb of coconut cream - if you want to make it super creamy and rich
- toppings: grounded nuts or some shredded coconut
- 2-3 tb of lemon juice - to be used if you ever find the taste of the avocado to overpower the chocolate
Equipment: a blender
Melt the dark chocolate using any of these 3 methods. I melted my chocolate over the stove.
Mix all ingredients and blend for 1-2 minutes.
Transfer to your bowl and refrigerate for 15 minutes to 2 hours before serving.
When serving the mousse, you can top it up with some grounded nuts or some coconut.
- Avocado makes this dish super nutritious, as it contains plenty of healthy fats and fibre that will help to protect your heart
- If you are using regular milk chocolate, do not add in any honey or maple syrup as it will already be very sweet. Dark chocolate is a better choice.
- Cacao vs cocoa: Cacao powder is the raw, unprocessed version of cocoa powder - it is very rich in nutrients, especially magnesium which is super important for our nervous system. However, if you don't have cacao, cocoa is also good.
If you like the recipe, don't hesitate to try it out and tag us on social media using the hashtag #fitformebyanya and to share it with your loved ones.