Updated: Apr 21, 2020
Breakfast in 10 is a series of articles where I teach you tasty and nutritious breakfasts that you can make in 10 minutes (no jokes!). This week we're looking at oatmeal.
A few years back, if someone ever mentioned the words oatmeal or porridge to me, I would be running away. I'd prefer to skip breakfast, I'd prefer to starve than eat this mushy thing.
But you know what, I'm soooo glad I changed my mind about oatmeal. I'm now part of the porridge team, not just because it's healthy dietitian but it's super tasty! Look at this bowl of oats below!
Stewed berries with honey on top of my porridge!
Yes, you can make oatmeal as yummy as dessert, and all this in less than 10 minutes. Are you ready?
What you will need (one serve):
- A pot
- A bowl
Ingredients for the oatmeal base:
- 1 banana
- 1/2 cup of oats (plain, whole/rolled oats)
- 1 cup of cold water
- 1/2-1 cup of milk of choice
- 2 tablespoons of grated coconut (for natural sweetness)
- optional: 1 teaspoon of plain peanut butter or other nut butters
Soak oats in cold water in a bowl
While oats are soaking, mash 1 banana (ripe preferably) then drain oat water.
Add banana, oats, coconut and milk in a pot on medium heat. Let it cook for 5 minutes.
You can add in the nut butter to make it creamy and boost up the protein content.
Top up with your favourite ingredients.
Here are some ideas for ingredients to top up your oatmeal:
- fresh fruits - plenty of vitamins
- nuts, seeds and nut butter - plenty of good fats and some protein (grounded flaxseeds is super rich in omega-3 fats)
- frozen fruits (super practical) ex: frozen berries - super rich in antioxidants
- cocoa - natural source of magnesium that adds a chocolate flavour to your porridge
- honey - natural sugar