Choco bites are a great alternative to chocolate when you're having a sugar craving :) and the best thing about them is... that they don’t contain any chocolate!
Quick facts about the Choco Bites
They're naturally sweetened, that means no added refined sugar.
They're high in fibre, which will keep you full for a long time.
They're a great snack on the go, especially when you need that sweet fix.
2-3 Choco Bites should help if you are looking for a pre-workout snack. They’re a great alternative to the commercial cereal bars filled with added sugars.
No baking is needed. You only need a blender and your hands ;) Let's get to it!
- 16 small dates, pitted (yes do remove the seeds/pits before)
- 2/3 cup of grated coconut
- 2 tb of unsweetened and unsalted peanut butter (any nut butter works)
- 1 tb chia seeds (flaxseeds could also work)
- 1 tb of sesame seeds
- 1 handful of nuts - I used hazelnuts this time
- 2 tb of cacao powder
- 1/4 cup of water (optional)
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract
- 2 tb of honey
- Put all ingredients into the blender.
- Blend, blend, blend.
- Once you get a compact paste, roll into small bites. You should get 12-16 bites depending on the size your make them.
You can add 1/2-1 cup of oats if you want. I didn't add oats in the recipe I shared on Radio One as I wanted more of that chocolate texture, but feel free to try different recipes and see what works best for you!
See the guest's reaction on the live on Radio One after they tasted the choco bites :)
Warning: these are delicious and can disappear if you let them sit in the
fridge. Hide them well!
This recipe was inspired by the recipes below from:
- The Domestic Geek, and
- Tammy - Organise Yourself Skinny.
Cacao vs Cocoa - not sure what the difference is? Check out 99% Fad Free Podcast by The Nutrition Guru.